We had our plot and script, and one of the steps film-makers often follow this with is putting together a storyboard. The purpose of a storyboard is to visualise a piece of film through a graphic organiser in the form of images. The illustrations are set in a sequence to detail the film and prepared shots to help us with our shoot.
The video above shows an in-depth look into the workflow of storyboarding by Film Riot’s Ryan Connolly, which I took inspiration from in directing Jannath’s drawings.
We’d finished our cinema scene regarding the storyboard thanks to my partner, Jannath Hussain, and her talent with creating such fantastic illustrations, which featured such things as an establishing shot, as you can see from our image in the top left corner, and extreme-close-up that’s positioned as the last image above. The storyboard worked great and what we put together for the cinema scene on paper has been featured above.
However, I took it upon myself to push the limits of what one can do with these drawings. Although I’d helped put together ideas for angles and images, a balance needed to be made with this area of pre-production and so because I didn’t illustrate I thought I’d put together a cinematic creation purely from the storyboard.
Stage one was photographing each image separately with my DSLR camera to get a great quality for each image. I laid out the storyboard and set up a mini photo-shoot with a single light illuminating the page so that the lighting was even. You can see the original photos below.
The next stage was to edit the photos and I did this using PhotoShop. They were all great images but I wanted a much darker look for them and did this using the “Burn Tool” which I think really made a big different in creating a scene that appeared to be in a movie theatre.
I then took the images into Adobe Premiere Pro where I cut the photos together in the right sequence, added movement to them and often movement similar to visualised camera movements as well as adding atmospheric music for effect.
The final stage was rendering and exporting the file as an MPEG-4 and uploading it onto my YouTube channel for my blog’s benefit.
The finished product can be seen at the start of this blog and although it took some time, the entire process paid off with giving me a better understanding of what’s planned for our shoot which gives myself and Jannath a huge advantage concerning making the best piece we can.